Raveeha Rabbani - Week 14 - Capturing Memories

        People always talk about "living in the moment" and enjoying it to the fullest, however they rarely mention how important it is to capture that moment and save the memories forever. Sure, it is important to be present in the moment, actually make the memories, enjoy and not worry about just taking pictures all the time, however there can be another perspective on this. I believe it is not "just taking pictures," in fact it is so much more than that. This is because I personally love to look back on the happy times I've had with my friends and family.

        Often times—actually every time—when I go somewhere with my friends, I am the one taking pictures and capturing candid moments in which we are all laughing and smiling. I love being the person who is considered the default photographer in the group, and the one who is trusted with taking pictures of all my friends.

        Recently there was a trend on Instagram in which people posted videos of the "quiet" moments in their life—moments that not many people notice. This became known as the "art of noticing," and I personally loved this trend because through this people were able to show what they care about most in their life. I believe the moments that often go unnoticed are usually the best ones, and should be celebrated. Celebrating these moments means to film them, photograph them, or write about them to keep the memories alive.

        Sometimes when someone tells me to live in the moment because taking all these pictures won't matter later, I do take slight offense to that because taking pictures and keeping these memories with me forever is a big part of my personality. They should realize that by capturing the photos and videos, I am not only living in the moment but also allowing the moment to live on with me forever.

Comments

  1. I guess its the first time I've heard about this issue from the other side. You see, wherever my family and I went on family vacations, my mom wound INSIST on taking photos of all of us in front of some landmark or something else cool that we saw. At the time I was extremely tired of it and how she wanted to gather my dad, brother, and I into a neat little line, stand to the side and capture all of us in a selfie (I didn't have the heart to say this, but the photos were oftentimes pretty bad because sometimes its tilted or misses the landmark or one of us entirely. And so I grew to become more and more annoyed whenever she would gather us all to take a photo EVERY TEN MINUTES. And it wasn't even for anything cool or interesting sometimes. I didn't like it because I knew that these pictures were taken (for the most part) not for us to look back at them 10-20 years on the future and make sentimental comments about them, but just to continue shooting until she gets a nice picture to post on facebook or the family whatsapp groupchat to flex on our relatives. Sorry for this turning into a rant, but these memories sorta get me still. That is not to invalidate your points however, because there is lots of validity in your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raveeha! I think photography is a beautiful thing, as is the way you describe it. I have always been the type of person to "live in the moment," but recently, I have started to document my life through photos. When I went to India, I obviously took pictures of the grand sites and dramatic wedding, but more important were the pictures of cows on the street, the steering wheel on the opposite side, the colorful fruit and vegetable stalls, the view outside the house, and candids of my family members. These pictures were special because they helped me commemorate memories and people that I would have otherwise forgotten, allowing them to "live on with me forever". You did an exceptional job of representing the other perspective of this argument, and your personal anecdotes really enhanced your overall writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emily Gan Week 16- My Collage

Bill Wang - Week 9 - Mango Yuzu Citrus Charged Lemonade

Bill Wang - Week 10 - Why I Hate the Sun