Emily Gan Week 15 -The Past, Present, and Future

 

My senior friends guided me to perfect this pose.

While at the volleyball senior night yesterday, I was looking through my Instagram story archive to find a picture from last year’s senior night. While looking for the picture, I came across so many memories from my sophomore year. Although it has only been a year since the present of those pictures, it seems like such long-gone memories, that can only be experienced through photos of the past. 

    It is crazy how in the moment it seems like things will last forever yet nothing seems to stay frozen. That is not necessarily a bad thing, such as my friend in volleyball has upgraded from JV to Varsity this year, however little things like watching the Varsity games together after his JV game are gone. These little changes are not horrible but I will never get to experience some things again. 

    However, I realize that I can not stay stuck in the past since memories will always stay only as memories, and in order to fully enjoy life you need to move forward. Now, I am looking forward to senior nights next year, my friends play basketball, soccer, volleyball, badminton, and swim, so many opportunities to make more memories and it will be even more exciting since it will be our senior night. I love looking back at memories but I love making new memories even more. We should live our lives to the fullest, we only have four years of high school and one life to live, let's make the most of it and create the best memories we can.

Comments

  1. Hey Emily, reflecting on old memories and past experiences can be extremely nostalgic, and often a symbol of how fast time moves. Sometimes, I get immersed in thoughts about my childhood, recalling and wishing for simpler times. But, I appreciate how your blog phrases the concept of time passing by as a positive thing, rather than a depressing one, even though it can be interpreted both ways. I love how you use your personal experiences, and actually depict the process of your growing and realizations to live life to the fullest, as it greatly improves the authenticity of your blog, and the connection you create with the audience. While reading this blog, I felt I could relate to everything you were saying, especially how sophomore year feels like centuries ago, and that definitely helped me understand and agree with your main points. Overall, you did an amazing job of re-evaluating concepts such as "change" that are surrounded by a negative stigma, into something more optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I found your blog to hold a lot of depth and meaning: combatting the sweet, but crystallizing amber of memories. Yet, as you argue, crystals are made to be looked and admired, but no to be trapped in. Very inspiring. However, I couldn't help but notice that the pose you strike within the picture to be similar to the Master Mantis from Kung Fu Panda, who is captured by Kai the Collector. Kai the Collector was comrades with Master Oogway, in the movies, and was ultimately banished into another realm after Oogway discovers Kai's ambitions of taking over the world. Kai gains the ability to turn other Kung Fu masters into Jade Zombies mirroring the forms of Kung Fu masters that he defeats. To me, this is a representation of Kai's envy and desires. Kai is stuck in the past, and copies the powers of others to supplement to his own. He wishes to take over the world, but does not do so by himself. Meanwhile, Po, after trying his ultimate move, the Wuxi Finger Hold on Kai the collector fails, but he immediately bounces back and uses a loophole to bring himself and Kai into another realm. Kai's desire to take over the world is strengthened because of him being trapped in memories of the past, his inferiority feelings causing him to borrow the power of others, despite him being stronger than others, while Po's ability to move on from memories allows him to overcome Kai. What I am saying, essentially, is that it is very good that you have moved on from memories from the past and decided to make new ones, because otherwise you may find yourself fighting a panda in another realm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I really enjoyed reading your blog because you have done a good job at conveying how fast time seems to move nowadays. At the beginning of Freshman year, I used to think that 4 years is such a long time and that highschool will feel like a million years, however I was completely wrong and now I do realize how short 4 years really are. It is so true that everyone should try to live their lives to the fullest during this time, because every happy or sad moment eventually becomes a memory. Whether that memory stays happy forever or eventually hold more sorrowful connotation also changes with time. I especially appreciate how uplifting your blog is, since instead of talking about the depressing aspect of how fast time is passing by, you focused on how we should use that to our advantage and live life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emily Gan Week 16- My Collage

Bill Wang - Week 9 - Mango Yuzu Citrus Charged Lemonade

Bill Wang - Week 10 - Why I Hate the Sun