Bill Wang - Week 15 - Sigma

 The bygone reflects into the hereafter, mapping itself in a divine blueprint infinitely across  the continuous planes of existence, the preceding terminology actualized through the capability of cognition: the mirrors of chronologicality. Yet, like how the deciduous flora seemingly superfluously suffer the summer spawning, subsequently subnivean sickening, verily I say onto you that introspection nevertheless remains relevant despite the ego’s reposment upon remembrance. 

And it is upon such introspection that one enlightens himself with glaring truth: poised with the armaments with willpower and one halves decade, I still fail to consecrate my cerebral facilities. Thus, I dare to claim, to cry as a gnashing fly below where thar-may-be-heavens, that I covet the diefic authority to desanctify, desecrate, smash into shards of rain that will bleed our untouched lands, these mirrors of chronologicality: to trespass that which makes us all human.


Unit 10 of my math class discusses Infinite Sequences and Series. The culmination of thousands of years of mathematics, consolidated into two-thirds of a year for teaching, math is truly the stepping stone of humanity. Logic builds upon itself, deriving from itself inconceivable functions and representations of natural and imaginary data points in a metaphysical plane, yet all I can think about is the word “Sigma.”


(image from https://medium.com/@lesleyrazzaghian/how-to-remember-sigma-notation-9de794a4250a)


I think the brainrot is finally getting to me. The teacher shows us an equation. She reads “Sigma.” I fight the urge to make a stupid comment. “I feel so sigma!” The words bounce around in my head, accelerating each time they bounce around the empty edges, like that one DVD logo. Sigma? Like Sigma male? Christian Bale inner seething rage? The teacher repeats the words again: “Sigma.” Saahith turns towards me. He says nothing, but I hear his voice: “Sigma.”  I see Sigma everywhere. 


It’s been one day after that incident, and I still don’t think I’ve recovered. I still see sigma everywhere. I look into the mirror, and I see Patrick Bateman looking back at me. “You’re not the weird one. You’re special. You’re Sigma.” 


“No!” I cry. I rush away from the mirror in a blind panic, slamming into the door so hard that my sight becomes inundated with white spots for a moment. Sight? You mean Sigma? Hah. Heh. HA HA HA HA HA.


I now lie on the bathroom floor, clutching my knees in the position of utter defeat. I black out. Wheeeen. A high pitched noise brings me back. Sigma, my mind repeats to me. I black out. Wheeeen.

Wheeeen. Wheeeen.


Forlorn and forsaken, I stand now at the podium before the judge. Where I go, he shall dictate to his very whims. For when you erase a memory you lose a lesson. But when it is “Sigma,” there will be no other choice.


Comments

  1. Hi Bill,
    Your blog post eloquently elaborates on the intricate connection between the past and the future, which is linked through the tools of introspection and cognition. The imagery you use, especially when you compare the passing of time to the seasonal cycles of nature, adds a profound depth to your reflection on the human condition. Your exploration of the desire to transcend the limits of chronologicality and tap into a higher plane of understanding is something so obscure and interesting. In particular, your use of language is unique, and has repeatedly painted vivid pictures in my mind and invited me to reflect on the deeper meanings behind your words. The juxtaposition of the concepts of divine blueprints and the mundane struggles of everyday existence creates a powerful contrast that resonates deeply. Regarding your mention of Unit 10 in your math class, I appreciate the transition into a different realm of thought. It's admirable how you seamlessly transition from the abstract musings on existence to the practical realm of mathematics. Your humoristic experiences with the word "Sigma" encapsulates the way in which complex mathematical concepts can sometimes become reduced to mere slang, diminishing their profound significance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill! Your blog was an interesting personification of the sigma symbol in math. I was drawn to your blog because of your picture of the sigma symbol, which is an integral part of unit 10 in AP Calculus BC. While I’m not a fan of sequences and series in Calculus, the idea of sigma, which indicates summation, is an extremely important concept and is important to understand if one wants to go further in their math career, such as taking linear algebra and statistics. While unit 10 of AP Calculus has made me question my life choices and existence, it’s also equally important to acknowledge that unit 10 is also arguably the most important unit to take away from this Calculus course. Understanding the sigma symbol is one of the few concepts in math that can be useful throughout algebra, calculus, statistics, differentials, and geometry, so although I can’t think of a single person who is happy to see the sigma symbol and sequences in Unit 10, I understand why CollegeBoard added sigmas. One thing I will not be able to understand, however, is why they thought it was humane to make unit 10 one of the most tested units on the exam. But then again, CollegeBoard was never known to make humane decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bill, What can I say, except guilty as charged. I really hate that these jokes from the internet are translated to real life because of the countless amount of toddlers and more recently, the "Gen Alpha" crowd into forming a collective consciousness based (hehe) on low-quality posts on massive social media platforms like tiktok, snapchat, and instagram. It's actually kinda disheartening to see how easy it is for these platforms to generate mountains of "brainrot" as it is called by members of my generation. Nothing feels really real or genuine any more, and humor on the internet has changed from well thought out jokes to a screaming contest between an ever growing pile of mentally disturbed toddlers. It may be a little unrealistic, but it's crucial for us to promote media literacy and encourage our younger generation to critically evaluate the content they consume and create, fostering a culture of thoughtful engagement rather than mindless consumption Anyway, there's my two bits worth of thought, and I hope to see another fun blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bill, you dropped another banger. Every week I love to come and read your blogs, sometimes I have no words and need to finish my comments so I do not leave a comment but you best believe I read every word of it. I remember when the word sigma was first introduced to me from watching copious amounts of Andrew Tate brainrot since it is kinda funny to laugh at. Later on it is now more throw around to make fun of those sexist men who think they are superior to others and especially to women. Whenever I see some brain rot vocabulary used in school like "among us" when reading The Crucible I can not help but giggle a little in the inside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emily Gan Week 16- My Collage

Bill Wang - Week 9 - Mango Yuzu Citrus Charged Lemonade

Bill Wang - Week 10 - Why I Hate the Sun