Sana Thakkar: Week 10 - Are you Lucky?



  For years, almost every critical family decision in my household, from buying a house or car, to taking a job or deciding our vacation destination has ultimately been determined through one singular method: taking two slips of paper, each with a possible decision, and selecting one, allowing it to decide our fate. Historically, this process has had exceptional results. However, it originates from a fervent feeling of faith; faith that the selected piece of paper will point us in the right direction; faith that the person choosing the chit is lucky enough to make the final and rightful verdict. The year 2007, precisely my birth month April, marked a period of prosperity for my parents who bought their first house in the U.S. and received their Green Cards. Both these achievements were accredited to my supposed luck, and I became known as a symbol of fortune in my family, responsible for picking the fateful slips of paper. The topics of luck and faith have forever been controversial, but the influence they have on our daily lives, both subconsciously and consciously is undeniable. 

    Athletes wear a certain pair of socks, or listen to a particular song before playing; students have lucky pens and pencils for taking tests; my aunt has a lucky sweater for important days at work; everyone has their superstitions. My personal belief is that if I do not make my bed in the morning in a certain manner, my day will go horribly. There is no telling if any of these convictions are correct. But an athlete could lose their game; a student could fail their test; my aunt could fumble her work duties, and I could have a terrible day not because of the existence of luck, but the belief of selective fortune. 

     In 2018, math professor and statistician Jeff Rosenthal at the University of Toronto described the concept of a "luck trap" where people filter out certain observations in order to blindly support their beliefs, labeling luck as simply a series of "random coincidences" (CBC). Ultimately, whether luck exists or not is irrelevant, as the idea of luck is intensely ingrained into us, allowing it to manipulate several aspects of our lives. We stubbornly hold on to this concept without assurance of its accuracy, as it offers a sense of stability in an ever changing world. Despite this professional opinion, among others, luck, and the power of "the universe" is greatly relevant, outweighing practical reasoning. But sometimes, whether you believe it or not, it is important to release some hard decision and let fate or "random coincidences" guide you. A tiny slip of paper could hold the solution to a large problem.


Image Credit

Jeff Rosenthal CBC Radio



Comments

  1. Hello Sana! I can't admit that I have prayed before stressful tests or weeks before they happened and even sometimes consciously avoid doing stereotypical things that could incur bad luck, like walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, having a black cat cross my path, etc. It's like there's an unspoken pact between me and the universe – a sort of bargaining to tilt the cosmic scales in my favor. Call it superstition or a coping mechanism, but in those moments of uncertainty, these rituals provide a semblance of control, a way to navigate the unpredictability of life. While my rational self may dismiss these actions as mere coincidences, the comfort they bring is undeniable. It's a peculiar dance between logic and belief, a quirky part of my journey where the line between the tangible and the intangible blurs. I think that this is a pretty relatable blog and I hope to see more like this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sana! The excerpt from your own life in the first paragraph was really interesting and it was a great way to start off the blog. I think the math professor is correct in saying that people ignore certain things about a pattern in order to make it a pattern, justifying the idea of luck. That being said, I don't think people will ever give up the idea of "good" or "bad" luck because it has become almost a tradition in many societies. It's a fun thing to notice that people, myself included, often enjoy discussing, and there's nothing wrong with that. Even if no one actually is scientifically or mathematically "lucky," luck is one of those superficial things that brings people together and can be the subject of many conversations, regardless of the truth and evidence backing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sana,
    Adding a personal anecdote in your introduction really captured my interest. I was particularly intrigued by the anecdote of your family's reliance on the slip of paper method for making important decisions, and how it became a symbol of fortune tied to your birth and perceived luck. It's interesting how such superstitions become ingrained in our lives, offering a sense of comfort and stability in between uncertainty. Your blog inherently depicts the interplay between belief systems and the way they shape our perceptions of luck and fate. Your reference to Jeff Rosenthal’s concept of a “luck trap” adds depth to your reasoning, and it highlights how our beliefs can sometimes lead us to selectively interpret events to reinforce our motives. It serves as a significant reminder of the negative outcomes of relying heavily on luck. Your closing reflection on the importance of having control and embracing the unknown is something that everyone can relate to. However, there is a certain liberation from relying on luck and fate to make hard decisions, and trusting that even random coincidences may hold the key to resolution. I admire your thoughtful exploration of luck, faith, and decision-making and your valuable insights and advice that some people may need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sana! I think it is very interesting to believe where luck can take us. Although I would wish to have someone draw the paper for me, on what classes to take or outfit to wear. I am too scared of what if I suffer from this, what if my lucky person picked the wrong paper slip. My ex had a lucky hoodie he would wear before his basketball games and would never eat brunch on a test day. Or my friend says he does better on tests when he doesn't check his score after and just wait for it to uploaded into the grade book. I never really understood the idea, however I do like my comfort ideas. I do not believe this hoodie or practice will bring greater fortune to you but because you have the comfort in this practice you can work more confidently. I always use pens and highlighters my friends give me during important tests and papers not because I think they will bring me better luck but because I enjoy the comfort of have my friends by my side.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emily Gan Week 16- My Collage

Bill Wang - Week 9 - Mango Yuzu Citrus Charged Lemonade

Bill Wang - Week 10 - Why I Hate the Sun